Monday, January 30, 2012

In Memory Of Donald A. Brown

Donald A. Brown, nose gunner
415th Bomb Squadron
98th Bomb Group


Donald A. Brown, kneeling far right  


Today I received some very sad news. 
Donald A. Brown, who served with my
father as the nose gunner and was a member
of the 415th Bomb Squadron of the
98th Bomb Group, died January 17th,
2012 in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
He was 88 years old.  He was awarded
two air medals and our Nations Purple
Heart.  He was the last remaining
crew member.  

As many of you know, since the inception
of my Father's blog, I had been searching
for many, many months the family members
of the crew.  I was elated when I found Don.
I was looking forward to hearing all his
stories and sharing them on the blog. 

His son, Colonel (Ret) Don Brown, would
like to share his thoughts and some personal
stories of his dad along with family photos, and
I hope to share those with you in the very near
future.  Our thoughts and prayers go out to
their family.  Don said his dad was a proud
American and loved his country deeply.
He will be missed...and a grateful country
mourns his loss.

I found this poem as a tribute to the crew
of the 415th Bomb Squadron, 98th Bomb Group

                         High Flight

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
and danced the skies on laughter-silvered
wings; Sunward I've climbed, and joined the
tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds - and done
a hundred things you have not dreamed of  - 
wheeled and soared and swung high in the
sunlit silence.

Hov'ring there I've chased the shouting wind
along, and flung my eager craft through the
footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue, I've
topped the windswept heights with easy grace
where never lark, or even eagle flew - and,
while with silent lifting mind I've trod the
high untrespassed sanctity of space, put out
my hand and touched the face of God."

Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee
No. 412 Squadron, RCAF
Killed December 11, 1941

 

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts are with you in this moment of the love of flying so poetically posted here.
    Your Blogging is wonderful. Please continue.

    ReplyDelete